We all have that small but well-known place in town that we love and trust. We frequent this place or use their services over big companies that may do the same thing because we like supporting local businesses. It could be your neighbourhood coffee shop, sushi restaurant or delivery company. A lot of hard work and dedication is put forth by individuals running their small business. It’s extremely important we show our support as their success can post many benefits to the community.
Locals trust and appreciate small businesses over corporations for the following reasons:
- Community Well-Being: Locally owned businesses build stronger communities by sustaining active town centers. They link neighbours in social and economic relationships and contribute to local causes.
- Knowledge Of Area: Who would know your area of town better than your local delivery company? They know the best routes to take and the ins and outs of the local roads.
- Character: Communities that preserve their one-of-a-kind businesses and distinctive character have an economic advantage.
- Boost Local Economy: Compared to chain stores, locally owned businesses recycle a much larger share of their revenue back into the local economy, enriching the whole community.
- Jobs/Wages: Locally owned businesses create more jobs locally and may provide better wages and benefits than chains do. More often than not, employees are treated better at small businesses over corporations because they are not just another number.
- Better Customer Service: When you support local businesses, the business owner is usually directly connected to every employee and/or customer. This leads to a personal approach that often means any problem you have is taken seriously.
- Better Connection: Locals enjoy knowing the people behind the business where they have a connection they would otherwise not have. Personal investment is not as present when a chain business closes.